Sri Lankan minister makes “sexist” comments during Parliament debate


Unknown | 09:39 |

0
A Sri Lankan minister for transport is in the hot seat for openly declaring his feelings towards an opposition member of Parliament during a debate over the state of country’s transport board.

The minister Kumar Welgama told the opposition MP Rosy Senanayake, a former Miss Sri Lanka and former Ms World that he was mesmerized by her beauty and that he would answer her questions “outside”.
His comments have been branded as “sexism”.
Welgama said during the debate that “I cannot explain my feelings here. But if you step outside I will describe them”.  “When I see my imaginations run riots which I don’t want to reveal in public”, he said. The minister very cleverly dodged the question of but instead openly described his feelings towards the opposition MP.
The minister said “today is the happiest day in my life after 19 years of politics and everything swirls around when I look at your beautiful face”, the minister added.
Rosy Senanayake won the first Ms World contest in 1985. She was also declared as winner during 1981 Miss Asia Pacific International competition.
Senanayake later said she felt insulted for the comments and the minster should have answered the questions put forward to him. The minister later told that he has never insulted any women and “it is a fact”.

0 comments:

Post a Comment