London: Andrew Strauss resigned as England’s Test captain and announced his retirement from professional cricket with immediate effect on Wednesday, NDTV reports.

“After much thought over the last few weeks, I have decided to step down as England Test captain and announce my retirement from all forms of cricket,” Strauss said in an England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) statement issued ahead of a news conference at Lord’s.
“It has clearly been a tough decision to make, but I believe that it is both in the best interests of the England cricket team and myself to step down at this stage,” the 35-year-old, who played exactly 100 Tests, added.
“The driver to all this is I haven’t batted well enough for a long time. I wasn’t going to improve batting-wise, I’ve run my race,” Strauss later told the news conference.
“It’s one of these decisions when you know when your time is up.”
“It is important for a captain to not be a passenger and that people are not speculationg whether you should be in the side.”
Alastair Cook, already England’s one-day captain and Strauss’s opening partner in the five-day game, was announced as the new skipper of the Test team. Read More